As a parent, I don’t just love to save money, I need to save money. There are diapers to think about, clothes, college… the list is never ending. As a parent, you try to keep everything in your home in the best condition as possible so you don’t have to replace things as often, right? When it comes to my home, I like to keep things simple and natural, but it’s really hard to do that without going broke. It seems like everything that is good for you and natural is double the price of the things that are not so good for you. It’s sad really, but I have found a way to make something I use every day last longer.
My cutting board! I have both plastic and wood cutting boards, but I like the wood ones better, simply because they’re better for you. Plastic cutting boards can harbor bacteria and chemicals, and you don’t need that in your food. Wood can too, but you can’t gouge a wood cutting board as easily to create crevices that bacteria can grow in. There seems to be a lot of back and forth about this subject, but the simple fact is, wood boards last longer. You can read more about bacteria and cutting boards here.
Personally, I like wood kitchen accessories better anyways. With this fact, I have to take care of them. Wood doesn’t last forever if it’s not taken care of properly and many people don’t even know that you’re supposed to take care of your wood cutting boards and chopping blocks.
Why do they need special treatment? Wood cutting boards can be damaged if they are exposed to too much moisture or allowed to get very dry, so think like a chef and take care of those cooking accessories you spend so much money on and time using. Good cooking tools are not cheap, but if you take proper care of them, they can last you a lifetime and save you from replacing your plastic cutting board every 6 months (as recommended)! My parents have my grandmother’s huge chopping block that has to be at least 30 years old and it still looks new. How? She took very good care of it!
Simply by waxing and oiling your wood boards, they will last so much longer and look like new when you wax them! And Caron & Doucet Cutting Board Wax is the perfect product to have stashed under your sink.
- It creates a “durable and easy to clean” finish on any wood and bamboo kitchenware.
- Prevents liquids that can cause stains or water damage.
- Can be used on wood and bamboo cutting boards, butcher blocks, countertops, knife handles, and whatever else you might have that needs protection.
- Created using rice bran wax. Rice bran wax is one of the hardest of natural waxes, giving wood a remarkably durable protective finish. It has a higher boiling point than most waxes, such as bees wax, so you aren’t going to rub it off during washing or if you are using it on a bamboo spoon, etc.
- The pure essential oils of lemon, rosemary, and lemongrass were chosen for this product to naturally help eliminate unwanted food odors from food preparation surfaces.
It’s a simple step after washing and drying! Apply a thin layer of the wax to the surface of your cutting board using a clean cloth. Polish to a matte sheen and re-apply when wood starts to appear dull. It takes 2 minutes and your hands will feel fabulous after! It’s like a mini spa trip!
This before and after of my personal board, it is so awesome!
The only bad thing I have to say is that it is a little pricey at $14.95 for a little 4 oz. tin. You can purchase it Here. But honestly, this tin could quite possibly last you an entire year, depending on how often you use it, so it’s totally worth the price!
I am off to go wax all of my bamboo spoons now! I found this product at 34Orange.com, be sure to follow them on Facebook and Instagram for tips, tricks, and inspiration in the kitchen!